Re: Experience of Informix -> Oracle conversions

From: Ernst-Ludwig Brust <el.brust_at_barch.bund.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:09:18 +0200

"Neil Truby" <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:m92v7.4811$Sa2.19271_at_NewsReader...
> One of our clients, uncertain of the Informix product set future in the
> light of its sale to IBM, has asked us to evaluate the costs and benefits
 of
> migrating to another dmbs.
>
> Because of the applications they run, the only viable candidates are
 DB2and
> Oracle.

I think, the "conversion technic" depends mainly on the "application technic" You using.
We are going from informix to oracle with an appl. that has data-import and export-functions, and so there was absolutly no conversion-problem. (we only had problems with installing database instances on oracle). Generaly I think, if you can do it over a "microsoft-bridge" for example msaccess and odbc, the "data-conversion" will be a little bit slow but it runs without problems.

Ernst-Ludwig Brust Received on Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:09:18 CEST

Original text of this message