ORA-12545 - *****Hostname Lookup Failed*** with Oracle 9i from SQL*Plus Worksheet only - previous fixes tried

From: ben <ben_at_walkwithgiants.co.uk>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 08:44:39 -0700

All

I have recently installed Oracle 9i on W2000. Carried out all the standard setup and everthing is working except that I cannot connect using SQL*Plus Worksheet on the install machine. I can connect to this new install using OCI/ODBC and SQLPlus from same machine, and I can also connect using SQL*Plus Worksheet from client machines (from exisiting 8i client installs)

When tracing SQLNet get trace as outlined at end of post and message in SQL*Plus of "ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist"

sqlnet.ora and tsnames.ora are correct and I have checked network WINS/DNS settings and can resolve machine name using ping both as name and IP

Any advice on how to resolve this or similar issues welcome, have reviewed previous similar posts on this error/subject however have not been able to resolve with any fixes suggested

Thanks

Ben Heavey

NET Trace:

  • TRACE CONFIGURATION INFORMATION FOLLOWS --- New trace stream is C:\oracle\NetTrace\oranettrace.txt.trc New trace level is 4
  • TRACE CONFIGURATION INFORMATION ENDS ---
  • PARAMETER SOURCE INFORMATION FOLLOWS --- Attempted load of system pfile source C:\oracle\ora90\network\admin\sqlnet.ora Parameter source loaded successfully

Attempted load of local pfile source C:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlnet.ora Parameter source was not loaded

 -> PARAMETER TABLE LOAD RESULTS FOLLOW <- Successful parameter table load
 -> PARAMETER TABLE HAS THE FOLLOWING CONTENTS <-

  TRACE_DIRECTORY_SERVER = C:\oracle\NetTrace
  TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = C:\oracle\NetTrace
  TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = USER
  TRACE_FILE_SERVER = OraServerTrace.txt
  SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)   TRACE_FILE_CLIENT = OraNetTrace.txt
  TRACE_LEVEL_SERVER = USER