Re: Training

From: Matthew Franklin <no.spam_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:58:40 GMT

Coming from the UK, when you say school, does that mean that you are still studying and haven't left yet?

Certification, I'm afriad is not much good on it's own, what you need is a junior posistion where you could take a modest salary and get on-the-job experience. 2 years is best before moving into a proper IT posistion.

This is what I did, I basically worked as an electronics technician for 2.5 years, but was developing MS Access database as well. I went contracting (again for a modest salary) and managed to pick up Oracle skills. Only after another 1.5 years would I consider my experience be enough to call myself an IT proffesional. (Now been in IT 6 years and I learn something everyday about Oracle!!)

Basically what I am suggesting is that certification isn't really worth it, I'm not sure it will help you starting a career in IT, best get your foot in the door and then work your way from there. Patience! :)

Hope this helps
Matthew

"Jova" <jovaughnl_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bEmu7.110440$w7.14220750_at_news02.optonline.net...
> Does anyone know of good school where I can attend to become a Oracle DBA
> certified. Also a school that will help you at least get a interim job
> somewhere. A lot of these schools claim they help with job assistance
 but,
> you don't even learn enough to become certified. I went to a school on
 Long