Naming a Standby Database

From: Mike Moore <hicamel_at_mail.home.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 02:31:23 GMT

I am looking for some feedback/advice on naming "Standby Databases". Suppose I have a database named PROD.ABC.SERVER.COM. Should I name the standby database PROD.XYZ.SERVER.COM?
Or should I drop the ABC and XYZ nodes and name both databases PROD.SERVER.COM? The things I am considering are that I use OEM to manage these databases and I use RMAN to back them
up. If I should ever have to switch over to the backup, how can I make it as transparent as possible
to OEM and RMAN? Is there a white paper or something that describes the operational procedures of switching over to a standby server? I have read Chapter 16 of the Oracle8i/Backup and Recovery Guide where it tell how to Activate a Standby Database, but that does not address how to make the cutover transparent to other oracle components like OEM and RMAN. Thanks,
Mike Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 04:31:23 CEST

Original text of this message