JDBC 2.0 - CONCUR_UPDATABLE

From: Jim Smith <jsmith_at_cmhcsys.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:50:11 -0700

I need to have a CONCUR_UPDATABLE result set (preferably TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE). I'm finding conflicting information about whether or not this type of dynamic result set is even supported by the ORACLE server let alone implemented by a JDBC driver, and that if I can do it I can only reference a single table in my statement...

SAMPLE PROBLEM:
We need to select multiple rows at a time, but don't want to lock the entire set of rows in the result set, yet need to ensure data integrity with multiple users concurrently accessing the database:

Ex: User 1 executes a query that returns 30 rows. I do NOT want all of these rows locked, I simply want to lock the single active record that user 1 is viewing. User 2 should be able to execute a query that returns the same results and be able to scroll through her result set unhindered (until she tries to activate the same row that User 1 has active).

-Is this type of operation even supported by ORACLE?
-Can I do this via JDBC and if so can someone recommend a driver?

Any answers on these issues would be appreciated. Any reference materials or sites containing an in depth discussion of these issues would be welcome as well.

Thanks! Received on Fri Sep 28 2001 - 18:50:11 CEST

Original text of this message