Re: data integrity constraints: objects vs database

From: Kishan <siva_kb_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 27 Sep 2001 04:00:47 -0700

scott.blankenship_at_relizon.com (Scott Blankenship) wrote in message news:<bfdcd9e6.0109260641.1c20d1fc_at_posting.google.com>...
> We're going through a major re-design. One of the debates that has
> come up is on the subject of integrity constraints. We have a DBA that
> doesn't like putting many (or any) integrity constraints in the
> database. He says the applications, particularly with OO, should
> prevent integrity problems and that the database will perform better
> without them.
>
> I say having the constraints in the database make more sense because
> of manual data manipulation by the support groups, and because
> sometimes programs (even OO programs) have bugs.
>
> I'm just looking for some more opinions. What do you guys think?
>

> Scott

In the database. Because:

  1. One of the things that a database is supposed to do and does, is to maintain the integrity of the data that is being entered into the database. This ensures that the only valid data is entered.
  2. Application developer need not know the internal structure of the database
  3. Access to users can be controlled.
  4. Any changes in the way the constraint is defined will not affect the working of the application.
  5. Network traffic will be less because all the checking will be done at the database server.
  6. No checking in the application, less code, faster.

There could be other advantages too. I'm giving just what came to my mind immediately. I'll be happy to hear more on this. Received on Thu Sep 27 2001 - 13:00:47 CEST

Original text of this message