Re: SQL loader: TRAILING NULLs where not necessary

From: Sanjay Raj <rsanjaynj_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 06:44:41 -0700

"Jan Doggen" <massoft_at_tref.nl> wrote in message news:<9o8bnd$fmod$1_at_reader03.wxs.nl>...
> Hello all,
>
> We load an ASCII file with exactly the right number of fields into a table
> like this:
>
> LOAD DATA INFILE 'c:\temp\Xtbi27_taak.TXT' APPEND INTO TABLE
> CASOBI_tbi27_taak
> FIELDS TERMINATED BY X'09'
> (basisgegeven,werkgever,stamnummer,aanstelling,taak,soort_onderwijs,instelli
> ng,declaratiecode,kostenplaats)
>
> The last few fields are empty (null), so each record ends in the required
> number of Tab separators.
>
> However, SQL loader refuses to load this!
>
> If we ad TRAILING NULLCOLS, the data loads just fine, in the right fields.
>
> How come?
> If we supply enough data fields, although NULL values, this shoudl work
> without TRAILING NULLs, shouldnt it?

The loader will nulls if they are between two populated fields Example (if the data was comma separated) 1,name,,address,,time
But U wil have to add TRAINLING NULL COLS if the data was like 1,name
But not when the data is
1,name,,,,, Received on Wed Sep 26 2001 - 15:44:41 CEST

Original text of this message