Re: Installing Oracle 8i with Developer 6 or 6i on WIndows 2000 Profesional Edition

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 20 Sep 2001 00:40:53 -0700

hassan_ayub_at_yahoo.com (Hassan Ayub) wrote in message news:<1df2b71.0109190815.fdc9a03_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi there,
> I'm trying to install Oracle 8i with Developer 6 or 6i on WIN 2000
> Profesional Edition, but the database link does not work. Database
> works fine but when I try to connect from Forms or Reports, always an
> error (TNS) is given. Is there any other way that I can accomplish
> this.
>

> thanks
>

> Hassan

Developer is lagging back in sqlnet, it still uses %ORACLE_HOME%\net80\admin.
You can resolve this in two different fashions 1 set up the registry var TNS_ADMIN to point to the network\admin dir in your Oracle 8i home. In this case you can't use service_name = syntax in tnsnames.ora as that is a 8i feature 2 copy the tnsnames.ora from 8i to net80\admin.

Please note this question has been asked many times and archives of this group are being maintained at http://groups.google.com

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Sep 20 2001 - 09:40:53 CEST

Original text of this message