getting a management server running

From: Garry Flemings <garry.flemings_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 13:57:57 GMT

Hello, all!

    This problem has been challenging me for a bunch of months, now. I hope there's a simple solution, but I've done everything I know to do. Any help is vastly appreciated!

    I'm working with Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 on a Win2000 machine. I have two Oracle homes; I'm using the first one installed.

    I am part way through the process laid out in Chapter 1 of the Oracle Enterprise Manager Configuration Guide
('http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/em.81 7/a85247/ch1.htm'). I've done everything up to "Start Intelligent Agent".

    The next step is "Start Management Servers".

  • The database with the OEM repository database is started and open.
  • I'm working on the machine hosting the repository.
  • The configuration parameters associated with the repository are correct.
  • The Win2K "Services" window shows OracleOra81Agent is started.
  • The Win2K "Services" window shows the OracleOra81ManagementServer is NOT started.
  • When I attempt to start the OracleOra81ManagementServer, I get a dialog box saying, "Could not start the OracleOra81ManagementServer service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator." (I'm the administrator!)
  • Associated with the attempt to start the management server service are three messages in the Event Viewer:
    • an information event, event ID 110, "The service is entering production run mode."
    • an error, event ID 113, "The process termination failed for JRE. %2. "
    • an error, event ID 112, "The service has terminated abnormally. See the file C:\Program Files\Oracle\ora81\sysman\log\oms.nohup for details."
  • The file "C:\Program Files\Oracle\ora81\sysman\config\omsconfig.properties" contains (in full):
    • start omsconfig.properties --- #OMS Configuration Properties #Sat Aug 25 10:47:47 CDT 2001 OEM.REPOSITORY.PASSWORD=<<clip>> oem.BootHost=localhost OEM.REPOSITORY.DATABASE=eagle oem.BootPort=7771 OEM.REPOSITORY.USER=OEM_REP_OWNER OEM.REPOSITORY.DATABASE_ORIG=eagle

tracing.enabled=true
tracing.level=5

logging.enabled=true
logging.dir=c:\Progra~1\Oracle\Ora81\sysman\log
logging.filename=oms.log
logging.max_size=20
logging.save_previous_log=true

oem.tracing.enabled=true
oem.tracing.level=5
--- end omsconfig.properties ---

  • The only files on my hard disk meeting the test "oms.*" are not log files (oms.htm, oms.gif).

    Questions:

  • Why won't my management server service start?
  • Why have I no log files?

    Thanks in advance!

        Regards,

        . . . Garry Received on Sat Sep 01 2001 - 15:57:57 CEST

Original text of this message