How can I force Oracle to give me an error when reading NULLS in a Fetch with indicator variables?

From: NeelSing <bytetwo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2001 07:36:48 -0700

How can I force Oracle to give me an error when reading NULLS in a Fetch with indicator variables?

BACKGROUND
I have this application

        written in PROC (I don't know thw version of PROC it was originally built in)

	and runs in Oracle 7
	Oracle 8.

STANDARD PRACTICE
In Oracle 8,
If I read a field that is NULL,

        Oracle gives an error
but if I have an indicator variable associated with it

	it does not and I need to check the value of the indicator variable
	to determine if the value read is NULL.

This is standard practice.

PROBLEM
NOW, here is the problem:-
The code that I am porting has associated INDICATOR variables,

        but no check is being done with the INDICATOR variables to determine NULLS
Oracle doesn't give error as INDICATOR variables are used (would have if INDICATOR variables were not used)

QUESTION
IS there an environment variable or compilation switch that I can use so that
Oracle gives me an error if a NULL is read given that I have associated indicator variables

Did older versions of PROC not behave this way?

Please help.

Thank you. Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 16:36:48 CEST

Original text of this message