Re: 'insert or update trigger' to update the same table

From: sien <linda_68_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2001 23:48:41 -0700

Anders ?ISO-8859-1?Q?Karb?? <znake_at_lazy.dk> wrote in message news:<20010827.22163118_at_mis.configured.host>...
> You have to state your goal more precise.
> If you only intent to update the &#8221;current&#8221; record (i.e. The record
>
> already being procesed in the trigger) then dont use sql-statement, but
>
> only normal plsql-code.
> Simply set
> if (:new.status = true ) then
> :new.desc = =to char(sysdate);
> end if;
>
> (I take that the serial is a unique key simply is eferring to the record
> already being processed in the trigger)
> If you really want to update other records (than the actual one being
> processed) in a trigger then you must use a whole diferent approach.

Hi Anders!
Thanks for the respond, but actually it still doesn't solve my problem. I want to update other record from the table.

This is my OBJ table

ID DESCR STATUS SERIAL

1   A            true      0
2   B            true      1
3   C            true      1
4   D            false     2
5   D            true      2
6   E            true      3
7   F            true      2

etc

ID is the primary key.
If I update a row in OBJ for example row 7, my trigger has to update the descr of row 5, since it has the same serial.

The version of my oracle is 8.05

thanks a lot...
sien Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 08:48:41 CEST

Original text of this message