Re: Windows 95 Odbc Problem (Help!)

From: Jeremy Lovejoy <jezlovejoy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2001 01:06:21 -0700

heels193_at_yahoo.com (H Bennett) wrote in message news:<d76469af.0108200407.50c3f49b_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have users with Windows 95. I load the Oracle client software for
> Oracle 8.x and test the connection and it is fine. I then go to
> configure the ODBC driver in the Odbc Administrator. I choose Add, MS
> Oracle Odbc and it comes back with an error saying "You muct install
> Oracle Client software before using this ODBC driver". Well, it is
> installed. I have tried loading new ODBC drivers, MDAC and it still
> happens.
>
> Any Ideas??
>
> HELP
Recently had this problem myself:

The MS driver for Oracle requires a 7.3 client innstallation, it cannot use the 8.0.x client. The reason that the Oracle ODBC DSN config screen never displays is that you do not have the ORACLE_HOME\BIN directory in the OS search path... open an DOS prompt and type in PATH then press return... Look at the displayed path. If you do NOT see the ORACLE_HOME\BIN directory there, then get it in there...
BTW make sure that the PATH statement in the autoexec.bat (win9x) includes the equal sign (=) e.g. PATH=c:\orawin95\bin;etc... and delete any spaces between the last character of the directory name and the delimiting semicolon (;)

The path statement may also be ignored if its too long - so check this out too. Received on Tue Aug 21 2001 - 10:06:21 CEST

Original text of this message