Re: Remote connection feasibility over Internet

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 20 Aug 2001 05:56:05 -0700

jhrost_at_bellatlantic.net (Jay) wrote in message news:<b327299e.0108170511.5e339ad0_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am using Oracle 8i, Enterprise 8.1.5, on Windows NT 4, TCP/IP
> protocol.
>
> I am trying to establish a connection between two servers in two
> different networks (at two different sites) in order to implement
> multimaster replication between them. So far, I have not been able to
> get the "connect" command to work.
>
> There is no VPN software or hardware in use. The two servers are
> connected by a DSL and the provider, by using the private IP addresses
> of each server, has "mapped" the Oracle std 1521 ports on each server
> to only receive data from the other server.
> Is this a feasible scenario? I have tried using the Local Naming and
> Host naming methods for name resolution, with no success. Can Oracle's
> net service names, global database names, etc. establish a connection
> with this architecture?
>
> Thanks in advance..

There's no reason at all why it wouldn't be possible, other than you are sharing bandwith with the rest of the internet, and it might be potentially unreliable. However, TCP/IP is TCP/IP and it doesn't matter whether there's 1 mile between the 2 systems or 6000. You should be more specific (error messages etc.) as to resolve why your connect doesn't work.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 20 2001 - 14:56:05 CEST

Original text of this message