Re: Help !!! What's the best way to export 43G data.

From: K.P, Ng <kapang_at_i-cable.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 00:00:41 +0800

This is our environment:
RS/6000 with AIX4.3
Oracle 8.1.5 (except the default tablespace create during setup the database, there only ONE user tablespace named: PROD1.) and there totally 17 datafiles in this tablespace.

What we want to do:
1.) export the entire the database (because my boss want to keep ORIGINAL configuration: e.g index, roles, profiles, constraints, etc.) 2.) the export command "exp" will run on a Windows NT server through SQL Plus.

Questions:
1.) Can I export the entire database to the NT server directly without export the file to the RS/6000 first.
2.) If I can perform above tasks. Is "exp system/password_at_production full=y inctype=complete file=d:\data\full.dmp" ok??? or any comments. 3.) Can I import the entire database to the one that I setup in Windows NT. I simulate this process in a Solaris x86 to Windows NT server by using ftp to transfer the dump file to the NT server. However, I saw a lot of error during import the database. Is it normal to import an entire database from one database to other database.

K.P, Ng

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:997124091.11261.0.nnrp-08.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...
> Can you explain why you need to export
> the whole database in one shot ?
>
> It would also be helpful to tell us the
> Oracle version number, and how much
> time you have to do the job.
>
> Possible solution:
> Kick all users off
> Restrict login to DBAs
> Export the database structure.
> Export the tables in batches to multiple export files.
>

> --
> Jonathan Lewis
>
> Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
> Last few places available for Sept 10th/11th
> See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
>

> K.P, Ng wrote in message <9kmgj8$61s3_at_rain.i-cable.com>...
> >Dear All,
> >
> >We've a database with total 34GB data, where 32GB come from one
 tablespace
> >named: PROD1. We need to export all the data from this tablespace PROD1.
 At