Re: benchmarking, which statement is faster

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlunspam-world.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:04:30 +0100

"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:9jnb6c0c3k_at_drn.newsguy.com...

> Until and unless you can post an example of any case where explicit
 cursors beat
> an implicit cursor.... I am suspicious of your conclusion.

You can generate an unreasonable example. The implicit cursor performs a second fetch. This means if you look for a single row via a full-table scan, the entire table will be scanned every time whereas with an explicit cursor, on average, only half the table will be scanned. It is un entirely unreal situation, but one for which you can easily engineer a test case. Received on Thu Jul 26 2001 - 12:04:30 CEST

Original text of this message