Re: DBMS for W2K platform

From: BP Margolin <bpmargo_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:12:47 -0400

Archie,

If you have decided upon a Windows platform, then SQL Server is the ONLY one of the three databases that you mentioned that is optimized specifically for the Windows platform.

If you need cross operating system compatibility, then this is definitely a disadvantage for SQL Server. But the competitors to SQL Server can not match SQL Server's performance in a Windows environment. Surf over to www.tpc.org for industry standard benchmarks.

With this said, I would also suggest that since you have a non-SQL Server background, but presumably a DB2 and/or Oracle background, that you consider the fact that each RDBMS is different. Techniques and methods that you might have learned on DB2 and/or Oracle, might not be appropriate for SQL Server. Unless you are willing to "re-learn" from scratch the proper programming techniques for SQL Server, you might be very frustrated (just as one would probably be frustrated moving from SQL Server to either DB2 and/or Oracle).

Bottom line: you and your management have to decide which criterion are most important to you. If it is simply performance on a Windows platform, then SQL Server wins hands down. If it is getting an application up and running, and you are new to SQL Server, then perhaps either DB2 or Oracle will be a better choice.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.