Linux Disk I/O and Oracle

From: Bill Buchan <wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2001 03:54:19 -0700

Hi all,

A few dumb questions about i/o on Linux for Oracle databases.

  1. I have heard generalised statements that Linux i/o is "immature" and does not support asynchronous write operations. Is this still true - and, what exactly does it mean?
  2. Can I compensate for a lack of asychronous i/o in Oracle through the use of DBWR slaves? If so, does it become a non-issue?
  3. Do these limitations carry over onto RAID systems? eg. disk write throughput on Linux vs. eg. NT on the same RAID hardware.

I've had a trawl through the web but can't find any answers to these questions (at least not at a level I can fathom!) so I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thanks
- Bill. Received on Wed Jul 25 2001 - 12:54:19 CEST

Original text of this message