Re: Problem with sqlplus/sqlnet

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:13:04 GMT

Augustine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to solve this problem.
>
> I've configured oracle client on Solaris using net8asst for oracle8i
> running on solaris.
> My test with netasst and tnsping shows that connection is okay. Even
> when tried to use sqlplus user/password_at_oracle_sid also is ok.
>
> But when I tried to use sqlplus without using the above syntax its
> failing. ie first i set the oracle_sid using ". oraenv". Then used
> sqlplus command which prompt me for the userid and password. But then it
> says "oracle not available". What could be the reason?
>
> Even after all other successful tests why this one is failing?
>
> Thanks
> Augustine Joseph

With your next post include the ORA-##### in addition to the message "Oracle not available".

Possibilities ... is the instance up? Is the listener running? Is Oracle Home configured? Did you follow the installation directions on the CD or just run .runInstall? If you didn't follow the instruction explicitly ... start over making sure you make the changes to /etc/system. Have you put oracle_home, oracle_base, oracle_sid, etc. into the .profile file? Is your tnsnames.ora file correct? Is there more than one of them not counting the one in the sample directory. Does sqlnet.ora list your domain as .world? If so try commenting it out.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:13:04 CEST

Original text of this message