Re: Installing Oracle 8i for Linux

From: Phillip Conrad <pconrad_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:10:46 GMT

Here are some suggestions that are not "Oracle" specific, but pertain to the error message "Permission denied".

(1) check to see if the file ./runInstaller is executable

   ls -l ./runInstaller

There should be an x in the fourth column. If there is a - instead, you may need to set the permissions

   chmod u+x ./runInstaller

(2) If that doesn't help, it may be that the "permission denied" message is coming from some command that is inside the script file or program "runInstaller".

Try "file ./runInstaller" to see whether the file is a shell script, or a binary program.

If it is a shell script, depending on the shell, you might be able to turn on the command echoing by adding switches such as -v -x -V or -X to the first line of the shell script.

For example,

    #!/bin/tcsh
becomes

    #!/bin/tcsh -V -X

This way, the script echoes every command as it is executed... then you can find out exactly which command inside the script is causing the error.

If the first line is /bin/sh or /bin/bash, there may be a different way to accomplish this... I don't know.

I hope this is helpful.

Phill