Re: ORACLE 8 efficiency/number of processor

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:09:49 GMT

If you mean does an individual query execute faster on Oracle 8 parallel server vs non-parallel the answer is no. (actually it may take longer on parallel server depending upon what else is ging on on the system at the same time). There is an option called Oracle Parallel query and that may speed up an indivudal query by splitting it up and having multiple slave processes work on different parts of the query.

Parallel server is to increase scalability (the number of users) and does not increase the performance of an individual query (assuming no other load).
Hope that helps,
Jim