Re: Database Shutdown Normal ...hangs ....why?

From: Alain Schartz <alain.schartz_at_cc.lu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 22:40:45 +0200

You mentionned your use of DBA Studio, so I suppose you are using an Enterprise Manager Installation (on an NT server?). If this is the case, check if you have the Oracle Assistant service running (on the server). This service is permanently logged into your database and thus prevents a normal shutdown. Nevertheless, a shutdown immediate should work without any problems, as this kills every active session before shutting down the DB.

N.B. You do not have to reboot the server to clear a pending shutdown, just log into another SQL*Plus (or svrmgr) session and perform a shutdown abort. This frees the lock.

Hope this helps,
Alan