Re: Importing data from Access

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2001 16:59:11 -0700

"Aidan" <ahumphreys_at_ZAPprocoma.de> wrote in message news:<KBH_6.4942$dG3.116447_at_news.easynews.com>...
> Beginner's question: if a client supplies me with database in MSAccess
> format, what is the best way to merge that data with an existign Oracle DB.
> I know that many records are duplicated in the Oracle db but I can easily
> reject those on the basis of key comparison.
>
> My question is must I dump the Access and write a routine to import the data
> and then to merge it - or is there a direct way to address the access data
> via an Oracle/Access link and perform the merge accross the databases. I
> guess you cannot run an SQL query across two databases, is that right?

You might try grabbing the Oracle Migration Workbench and seeing whether that does what you're looking for. I'm not sure whether or how the workbench does its merge...

Another alternative is to write your own ODBC application that does the merge.

A third option is to grab the Oracle Transparent Gateway for ODBC. That should allow you to create a database link from the Oracle database to the Access database (i.e. "select * from AccessTable_at_AccessDB" ). That would allow you to create a SQL query that runs across the two databases.

Justin Cave Received on Fri Jun 29 2001 - 01:59:11 CEST

Original text of this message