Re: How to drop the "DATA" tablespace?

From: dan whatley <dan.whatley_at_motorola.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2001 10:15:59 -0700

cif_at_ms1.hinet.net (lawrence) wrote in message news:<3b2b2fca.267946_at_netnews.hinet.net>...
> Dears,
>
> I had met a problem that is
> I cann't drop the "DATA" tablespace(I had made another
> tablespace just like "DATA_DAT" to instead of "DATA")?
> I had tried to take it offline then copy(dd) it into xxx.dbf
> then rename it into another xxx.dbf;
> but when I want to take it online,
> the Oracle won't let me bring it online!
> what can I do?
>
> if anyone knew the answer,please tell me!
>
> Regards,
> lawrence
> 06/16/2001

Hi Lawrence,

What happens when you do an "alter tablespace data offline;" ? If that works, you can do an "drop tablespace data;" And then, remove the datafile "rm data.dbf" at the unix level. I am assuming that there is nothing in tablespace DATA that you don't want to save.

Talk to you then,

dan.whatley_at_motorola.com
sr. oracle dba Received on Mon Jun 18 2001 - 19:15:59 CEST

Original text of this message