Re: BCV on EMC with Oracle

From: Patty Aponte <apontep_at_tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:49:10 GMT

Yes you can split the BCV set without stooping the database. Simply put all tablespaces in backup mode, split the BCVs and take the tablespaces out of backup mode. The BCVs will contain a hot backup of the database that can be restored and recovered like a traditional one. One caveat though, restoring from those BCVs will encompass all of the tablespaces. This limits you to a full database restore (unless you mount the BCVs on another host and transfer individual files). I mention this because your question implies that you what to keep the database available as much as possible. Restoring from a BCV copy limits the types of recovery option available to you; individual datafile and tablespace recoveries are no longer an option unless you mount the BCVs on another server and ftp/tar/etc. the files you need to the original server. For example, if you loose one data file, do you want to keep the entire database down while you roll back to the BCV copy and apply all of the redo since the last BCV syncup? Most likely, you can keep most of the application running by making the damaged file offline and bring up the database with the remaining ones.