Re: Restore DB After NT/Oracle Reinstall

From: Jon K <jon.dotonline_at_excitedot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:08:25 GMT

There's a whole 5 day class on this sort of thing as part of the Oracle DBA track.

"Dan Hunter" <dhunter65_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3d64ad76.0106111014.62f174c8_at_posting.google.com...
> I've seen several articles on comp.databases.oracle that talk vaguely
> about how to recover a database after a reinstall of NT 4.0, but none
> were very detailed and I'm relatively new with Oracle DBA tasks.
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> --NT 4.0 w/ SP 6a
> --Oracle 8i v. 8.1.6 Standard Edition
>
> The c: partition on my server died, but luckily the data was on the d:
> drive (as well as backed up to tape). So I had to recreate the c:
> partition and reinstall NT. Once the server was back up, the d: drive
> (the data partition) was accessible without any problems so my data
> files, log files, control files, and init files were intact.

Spend the $199 and but a second drive to mirror the C drive. If you don't have D on raid partition do that at the same time. Then you won't be faced with this again...

> I then reinstalled Oracle, but was unable to get back into my db. I
> read on comp.databases.oracle several messages that say you can create
> a fresh database and just overwrite the above mentioned files with the
> backups, but I wasn't sure exactly which files to move. I assume
> they're talking about the following:
>
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\control01.ctl
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\control02.ctl
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\control03.ctl
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\redo01.log
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\redo02.log
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\redo03.log
> \oracle\oradata\<db name>\system01.dbf
> \oracle\admin\cfs\pfile\init.ora

Sounds right. The init.ora can be used to create the new database, that way the new DB will have all the same parameters as the old.

> What about the other .ora files?:
>
> \oracle\ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
> \oracle\ora81\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
> \oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

These are a little more involved. I would keep them too.

> Is that all I have to do? Copy over these files to the newly built
> database? Or is there more to it? Or am I way off base?

You need to be *very* careful. Consider an expert, that backup class from Oracle and adding that mirrored drive.

Good luck

JKL Received on Wed Jun 13 2001 - 22:08:25 CEST

Original text of this message