Re: Win98/Oracle8i personal crashes on startup

From: default <plb2862_at_cts.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:26:22 -0700

Hopefully you' re installing on W98 SE. See if this works, try manually stoping the services for oracle by:

going to the menu Start\Settings\Control Panel open the Services icon
and stop all services for oracle
then use Oracles's Uninstaller

This should take off all of oracle except for a few folders reboot and now you should delete the oracle folders that remained after this process.

When I had this problem, I had to go to the extent of also re-installing W98 over the current version which worked for me. It fixed the pre-existing problem with my .vxd that popped up when I installed OPE. I also for good measure turned off all background applications (anti virus, email notify etc.). This may not work for your system and you might want to check if you have all of the Windows updates (patches and fixes) first for W98 SE.