Oracle not starting (Windows)

From: Vladimir Hluchy Jr. <vladimir.hluchy_at_zg.tel.hr>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:03:33 +0200

So...

I have a box with a clean installation of Win 2000 Server + SP1. The system works fine (no alerts, warnings, etc., in the Event Viewer).

I installed Oracle 8.1.7. Enterprise Edition (the installation process went without any problems), and created a database as a part of the installation process. I changed only the default location of the tablespaces (to put several hard disks to use), and the block size (from 4096 to 16384).

However, after the system re-start, the Oracle does not start - I can't connect to the database from SQL*Plus or whatever. Funny thing is, the Services applet shows that all Oracle services are up and running. Also, Task Manager shows "Oracle" process (it occupies some 8MB of RAM, and uses no CPU time).

After I manually start the database (with svrmgrl), everything works.

Now, the same thing happened to me several months ago, only the server was running NT 4.0 Server + SP6 . It wasn't the clean install of the system, so it didn't bother me much - I simply created a batch file and put it into the "Startup" folder. However, this time I would like to fix the problem properly!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vladimir Hluchy Jr.
Gisdata d.o.o.
Zagreb, Croatia Received on Wed Jun 06 2001 - 09:03:33 CEST

Original text of this message