how do I copy a control file ?

From: Steve Jones <strjon_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:43:27 -0700

Hi
  I'm an NT admin and know nothing about Oracle. Our dba is currently overseas and hard to reach. This guy says he wants to copy a database in Australia to Houston....so with an Oracle book I manage to setup a server (Oracle 8 on NT) and get an instance up and running. I imported tablespace, etc etc...made a submit.bat to automatically replicate the databases every morning, evening. Now person wants two database instances running on this

machine...one for production one for testing.  So, I created another
instance.  I copied all the datafiles from production instance to test
instance.  I also modified the init*.ora files properly.  Now I'm unable to
startup the test instance because I've messed up the controlfile (it can't start it). I did the "alter database backup controlfile to trace;"... This page on the web tells me that the trace file is located in the 'udump' directory and I have to modify it. However, those directions aren't explicit enough for me. Where would this trace file be ? What lines do I modify ? My oracle home is d:\oracle\ora81. Also, what's a good book for Oracle beginners ? This dba book is too advanced for me. Thanks for any help Received on Mon Jun 04 2001 - 01:43:27 CEST

Original text of this message