Re: Cold Fusion and Binary Data in Oracle

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 May 2001 06:24:23 -0700

blockcipher_at_yahoo.com (Casey) wrote in message news:<5ae2796b.0105230741.2538dc2e_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a project that uses Cold Fusion to interface with an Oracle
> database. One thing we are trying to decide on is whether or not we should
> store files in the database or link to them on the file system. What are the
> pros and cons of each approach? Also, how would we be able to upload a file
> into the database through Cold Fusion? Any information would be helpful.
>
> Casey

I do not know about the Cold Fusion part, but I agree with Jonathan Lewis's position as experessed in his Practical Oracle 8i book that if you have a relatively small number of very large files use the bfile datatype and physically store the files as OS files. If you have a very large number of files that are actually relatively small then store them in the database.

Cold Fusion should support FTP so the bfile solution should definitely be manageable, but how you load files into Oracle via Cold Fusion will require comments from someone who knows the product.

  • Mark D Powell --