Re: Migration to Oracle

From: Kevin McDaniel <kmcdaniel96_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:18:48 GMT

Oracle Migration Workbench is a tool that you can use to migrate databases, both Oracle and non-Oracle. It's available for free from Oracle's website. Word of caution, it doesn't work like you might think it will. It will require you to manually change a lot of the creation scripts. Also, it uses SQL*Loader to load the data into the new tables.

Hth, good luck.

kevin

"Brian Vienneau" <b.vienneau_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:IJ5P6.7359$Lc7.754155_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Can you explain what you mean by a migration workbench and how this would
> work? I am assuming this is software?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Vienneau
>

> "Richard in" <richardintx_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Depends of the DB you are migrating from.
> >
> > Best case: it is a standard informix/sybase/db2, there might be
 migration
> > workbenches available.
> >
> > Next best: Older DB or ODBC, you might be able to find a transparent
> > gateway which would make it as easy as Create <Newtable> as select *
 from
> > oldsystemtable_thru_gateway;
> >
> > Worst case: get flatfiles exports of all the tables in the old system,
> > then write some .ctl files to make sqlloader pull them in.
> >
> > Find out for certain that it is a UNIX system, you don't want to screw
 with
> > old HP3000 or PDP-11 h/w s/w combo, which may have "nightmare" project
> > overtones. In any event, looks like some job security,

> > "Brian Vienneau" <b.vienneau_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > I need to know of any methods preferably the best method to migrate
 another
> > > database to Oracle. This is important because a company will hire me
 if
> > > can do it. They have not stated what the other database vendor is yet
 but
 it
> > > is old and runs on UNIX I'm assuming. I can build the Oracle DB myself
 but