Re: Which platform is better?

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:09:40 +0100

Paul

FYI: I have worked with both Microsoft Intel and AIX based Oracle dB's.

I'd suggest sticking with option 1. But get a good Oracle DBA to check the system over. There are lots of different reasons why your system may be running bad and I'd get a tune up before spending money changing machines.

Roughly speaking for RISC based machines you can multiply the CPU power by 1.5 to get the equivalent Intel required. So your AIX is IMHO equivalent to a triple 500Mhz CPU Xeon or as they don't do triples a dual 750Mhz.... so in fact I would consider what your going to a down grade.

To work out if your machine is running out of CPU use top and examine the CPU utilisation and the run queue. Save money on an AIX expert up IBM and ask them on the phone if the figures you are getting are bad or not!

Something I did notice is that under option 2 you are talking about RAID 10, I hope you mean RAID 0+1 as any other form of RAID will impact your database's performance. Correct choice of disk and layout of Oracle files can make a massive difference to performance.At the very least get your logfiles off on to a separate mirrored disk volume!

Regards

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle
www.brainbench.com