Re: Migration to Oracle

From: Richard in <richardintx_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:12:47 GMT

Depends of the DB you are migrating from.

  Best case: it is a standard informix/sybase/db2, there might be migration workbenches available.

  Next best: Older DB or ODBC, you might be able to find a transparent gateway which would make it as easy as Create <Newtable> as select * from oldsystemtable_thru_gateway;

  Worst case: get flatfiles exports of all the tables in the old system, then write some .ctl files to make sqlloader pull them in.

Find out for certain that it is a UNIX system, you don't want to screw with old HP3000 or PDP-11 h/w s/w combo, which may have "nightmare" project overtones. In any event, looks like some job security,