Re: Trying to decide whether to support DB2 or Oracle

From: The Nomad <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 21:32:03 GMT

> My understanding is that you will be able to ship your DLL to your
> customer. So the customer does not need to have a C compiler
> installed. Serge can clarify.

That's neat if we only need to support one platform of DB2. We need to support them all. Are you implying that a small development shop like us acquires each machine configuration, installs all the requisite C compilers, import our stored procedure code, and carve out the binaries from each machine for deployment? Not much of a solution. IBM knows that this isn't a solution - it is a short-term fix for a problem that can address a small number of clients. It doesn't address the needs of a development shop that needs to deploy to their applications "working with" DB2 across multiple platforms.

For Oracle, I create the DDL/Stored Procs/Stored Funcs once and have the client import into SQL Plus (or more likely, we'll kick off a behind-the-scenes process that does it for them). It doesn't matter if the target Oracle server is running on a windows 2000 machine, or a high-end RISC box. The SQL is the same. That's the way it should be. DB2? Not so much...

Marc Received on Mon May 07 2001 - 23:32:03 CEST

Original text of this message