RE: Trying to decide whether to support DB2 or Oracle

From: Barry Tomlinson <Barry.Tomlinson_at_singlepointsolutions.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:04:34 +0100

HI all ,

I have been involved in Informix for the last XX years ( too many too mention ) my first introduction being 3.3 to maintain the data and using c and cisam interfaces from cobol to access the data. I started at a Medium size software house and started my own software house . I am now contracting as an Informix DBA at a large service provider for Vodafone.

I have trained many people in Informix and have always said to these people that first and foremost that you should endeavour to be a good programmer that can program in Informix 4GL and any other programming language. You should say this on your CV rather than an Informix Programmer . This should apply to any aspect of databases administration , programming and operating system support ( even hardware maintenance ) .

IBM have bought Informix. Unless I am rather naive IBM will not have done this to quash Informix. The old management philosophy of buying IBM will never get you the sack is probably coming true for Oracle (from my experience here) . I suspect that IBM will market Informix - to believe that they can convert all the existing Informix sites to IBM and DB2 is naive .

My current site is IBM and informix where the software is a mixture of packages and in house development . There main problem has been inconsistency in the development team ( high turnover of staff for whatever reason) and an evolving system following the rapidly changing business. They have made a conscious decision to stay with IBM and go to third party software that have a number of database options. They have chosen Oracle because they believe that this is the best database available ( Marketing ! ) .

I have the opportunity to preach what I practise . I will fund an Oracle course and get experience here . I am a good analyst , programmer and DBA in Informix and have the confidence to think I can be in Oracle . I am doing this for myself and not because IBM bought Informix and Informix will disappear.

Lets think positive about this . IBM may market Informix better (and consequently us) . I get positive vibes from I suspect unsolicited responses within the IBM camp but they are the soldiers and not the Generals. I also feel that the main talkers in this user group are very good DBA's ,programmers etc in Informix. From some of the basic questions asked in this user group there are also people who have been put into very tough situations in looking after Informix databases with no experience ( or even manuals ) .

We have to market Informix as well as Informix/IBM .

I apologise for my ramblings and probably not giving a decent conclusion but felt the need to ramble .

Cheers

Barry