Re: Trying to decide whether to support DB2 or Oracle

From: Dennis Edward <temp081100_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 16:57:00 GMT

Pro Oracle:

  • Oracle commands a huge portion of the DBMS market.
  • Oracle produces new versions so often that any book would have to be re-released quite often.
  • Oracle docs suck so bad that you pretty much *have* to buy aftermarket books.

Con Oracle:
- The Osborne/Oracle Press books have a pretty good lock on the Oracle book
market.

Pro DB2:
- As mentioned otherwhere, IBM is *very* hungry, and is putting huge effort
and $ into grabbing market share. This is an opportunity to get a head-start on an emerging market.

Con DB2:
- I'm just starting with DB2, but the initial impression I'm getting is that
their documentation (and support) is tons better than Oracle. That wouldn't bode well for sales of aftermarket books.

"Joe Lumbley" <joe_at_lumbley.com> wrote in message news:xZHH6.76$HQ3.62982_at_nnrp2.sbc.net... > For those of you who don't know me, I am the author of the "Informix DBA > Survival Guide", which is the best-selling book ever published about Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 18:57:00 CEST

Original text of this message