Re: create database

From: Thomas Vatter <thomas.vatter_at_blinx.de>
Date: 27 Apr 2001 11:07:38 +0100

On 26 Apr 2001, you wrote in comp.databases.oracle.server:

>On 27 Apr 2001 00:30:17 +0100, thomas.vatter_at_blinx.de (Thomas Vatter)
>wrote:
>
>>When I try sql "create database" there is the error "01031
>>unsufficient priviliges". I have connect before to an existing
>>database with the ora thin driver. I tried with the accounts
>>"system", "sys" and "internal".
>>I have Oracle running on NT and there is a user group "ora_dba". The
>>client logs in as "system" or "sys". Do I have to create a user "system"
>>or "sys" on NT and put them in the group "ora_dba"?
>

>Question: did you create an instance and start it? If not, it is not
>surprising it doesn't work.
>Also, in a default config *you won't be able to create a database from
>a remote system*, and I wouldn't recommend you to configure Oracle in
>such a way it is possible.
>In Oracle, 'create database' is definitely not the same as in
>sqlserver. For one thing, sqlserver guys never read any manual, in
>Oracle you *must*
>
>Regards,

thanks a lot for your answer! I had checked the online manuals, for "create database" but couldnt find this info. So I wont create the database remotely. But I wonder if it is the right way if network applikations cant create the database to save their data. Thus installation will be more complicated and customers dont like that. Sure dbas want to keep their job, but perhaps today this is not creating databases but administrating, configuring, tuning etc. Am I wrong? Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 12:07:38 CEST

Original text of this message