Re: import/ export tables

From: Eric Fortin <emfortin1_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:38:32 GMT

If you are trying to run the EXPORT & IMPORT utilities from NT AND Your version of Oracle is not 8i, you must specifify the version of the IMP & EXP. You can find these under ORACLE ROOT\BIN\IMP...exe and ORACLE ROOT\BIN\EXP...exe

For 7.3.3 +, I think the utility is IMP73.exe For 8.0.5 I think the utility is IMP30.exe For 8i, the Utility is IMP.exe

On unix, you can use just the simple IMP & EXP commands, regardless of the version of Oracle.. if only NT were as easy...

On NT, you should be able to run these from anywhere in the dos prompt. If your path is not set up properly, you will have to cd to the root\oracle root\bin\ directory.

The steps, for all versions, are identicle (As far as I can remember) to the information provided by aparna. Good work.   "Aparna" <bliss is ignorance_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3ad82023.0_at_news2.tm.net.my...
  hi loomis,

  the file "exp" allows u to export data frm oracle and "imp" allows u to import the data... u have to run these commands frm the O/S... there r facilities in both these utilities to export / import only a table...

  assuming u r working on Windows O/S following are the steps

    1.. go to the DOS prompt of the machine frm where u want to run the export command

    2.. C:\> exp username/password_at_hoststring once u give this command, u will get the following prompts (note prompts may differ a bit if u r not using oracle 8i)

    3.. Enter array fetch buffer size: 4096 > press enter here     4.. Export file: EXPDAT.DMP > give the name u want to give to the export file and press enter. this file will be stored in the current directory. for default file name (expdat.dmp) press enter

    5.. (2)U(sers), or (3)T(ables): (2)U > press enter if u want to export all the objects of the user, else to export selected tables, type T and enter

    6.. Export grants (yes/no): yes > press enter     7.. Export table data (yes/no): yes > press enter     Compress extents (yes/no): yes > press enter     in case u had earlier said export table only, u will now be prompted Table(T) or Partition(T:P) to be exported: (RETURN to quit) > type the table name and press enter. u will be asked the same prompt again. in case u want to export another table, type the table name and press enter again. finally after selecting all the tables press enter at a prompt

    8.. the export will now start.

  once the export is completed, u can copy the export file (called as the dump file) to any media and then import it on another machine / db. the db to which u r importing this dump to should have the same user created as the one exported frm before u start the import. the file imp.exe has to be present on the machine where u want to give the import command. the command is a follows

    1.. go to the DOS prompt of the machine frm where u want to run the import command

    2.. imp username/password_at_hoststring once u give this command, u will get the following prompts (note prompts may differ a bit if u r not using oracle 8i)

    Import file: EXPDAT.DMP > type the name of the exported file which is being imported here

    3.. Enter insert buffer size (minimum is 8192) 30720> press enter
    4.. List contents of import file only (yes/no): no > press enter
    5.. Ignore create error due to object existence (yes/no): no > press
enter

    Import grants (yes/no): yes > press enter     Import table data (yes/no): yes > press enter     Import entire export file (yes/no): no > to import the entire export file, type y and press enter

    6.. the import will now begin
  hope this helps....

  aparna