Re: import/ export tables

From: Aparna <bliss>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:58:57 +0800

hi loomis,

the file "exp" allows u to export data frm oracle and "imp" allows u to import the data... u have to run these commands frm the O/S... there r facilities in both these utilities to export / import only a table...

assuming u r working on Windows O/S following are the steps

  1.. go to the DOS prompt of the machine frm where u want to run the export command
  2.. C:\> exp username/password_at_hoststring once u give this command, u will get the following prompts (note prompts may differ a bit if u r not using oracle 8i)
  3.. Enter array fetch buffer size: 4096 > press enter here   4.. Export file: EXPDAT.DMP > give the name u want to give to the export file and press enter. this file will be stored in the current directory. for default file name (expdat.dmp) press enter   5.. (2)U(sers), or (3)T(ables): (2)U > press enter if u want to export all the objects of the user, else to export selected tables, type T and enter
  6.. Export grants (yes/no): yes > press enter   7.. Export table data (yes/no): yes > press enter   Compress extents (yes/no): yes > press enter   in case u had earlier said export table only, u will now be prompted Table(T) or Partition(T:P) to be exported: (RETURN to quit) > type the table name and press enter. u will be asked the same prompt again. in case u want to export another table, type the table name and press enter again. finally after selecting all the tables press enter at a prompt   8.. the export will now start.

once the export is completed, u can copy the export file (called as the dump file) to any media and then import it on another machine / db. the db to which u r importing this dump to should have the same user created as the one exported frm before u start the import. the file imp.exe has to be present on the machine where u want to give the import command. the command is a follows

  1.. go to the DOS prompt of the machine frm where u want to run the import command
  2.. imp username/password_at_hoststring once u give this command, u will get the following prompts (note prompts may differ a bit if u r not using oracle 8i)
  Import file: EXPDAT.DMP > type the name of the exported file which is being imported here

  3.. Enter insert buffer size (minimum is 8192) 30720> press enter
  4.. List contents of import file only (yes/no): no > press enter
  5.. Ignore create error due to object existence (yes/no): no > press
enter
  Import grants (yes/no): yes > press enter   Import table data (yes/no): yes > press enter   Import entire export file (yes/no): no > to import the entire export file, type y and press enter
  6.. the import will now begin
hope this helps....

aparna