Re: Stale procedures?

From: Greg Weston <gwestonREMOVE_at_CAPShome.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:51:56 GMT

In article <3AD67690.834AC42F_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

> No.
>
> UserB should be kicked off the system during the upgrade ... which should
> be done in a responsible manner after hours or on a weekend by UserA.
>
> That anyone is mucking around with production code during the workday is
> absolutely inexcusable short of a total system failure. I would show UserA
> to the door if they were in my department and did even once.

Don't assume, please. I didn't say anyone was mucking around with production code during the workday. I'm UserA. UserB is the login for a program that periodically, and around the clock, submits raw data to my processing routines. Sometimes those routines need to be updated (typically at 2 AM on a Tue^H^H^HWednesday, because we're barred from making production changes going into or coming out of a weekend). The whole time UserB isn't submitting data, we've got a potential financial exposure. I can suspend data generation from the UserB program, but actually tearing down and setting up the connections takes a substantial enough amount of time that I'd prefer it if either I or the program could just clear what appears to be a cached call chain. If that's not possible, fine. But if it was possible I would want to know how. Fair enough?

G Received on Fri Apr 13 2001 - 20:51:56 CEST

Original text of this message