Re: Oracle datafiles on NFS mounts

From: Steve Long <steven.long_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 01:38:18 -0400

require your vendor to provide written, verifiable evidence that the storage product(s) in the same or similar configuration you intend to use it is certified by Oracle and if it fails to perform properly during the first 30 days of operation, you can return the product(s) for a complete refund. Before NAS and SAN advancements, Oracle would not support ANY instance using NFS mounted storage. In the last year or so, however, some of these products have been certified by Oracle since, when running in the certified configuration, the storage devices perform as good or better than locally attached storage.

My personal experience with non-local storage devices for Oracle is using the Dell PowerVault 760 which is a 1.4 terabyte NAS. However, it was running on a gigabit network to the database server. The database server, of course, also had a gigabit NIC.
The gigabit throughput was faster than that of the local disk arrays (Sun E4000 with 4 processors and 1 Gbyte RAM).

Since I implemented this configuration, I beleive IBM, and perhaps some other vendors, have released similar products to the market. Oracle certification in the desired configuration is the main thing.

Please contact me directly if you would like more information.

Steve Long
"The world's best technology strategist." (TM)