Re: TEXT_IO Package

From: Mark Malakanov <markmal_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 04:07:20 GMT

> Does your temp table preserve any msgs if the proc dies or has to be
killed?
Sure, all inserted rows will disappeared, because table is temporary. If you need to keep rows, use regular table. But temporary is faster and does not eat redo.
In case of regular table you also can monitor output on the fly, if you will do commit frequently.

Thanks,
Mark

"Scott Mattes" <ScottMattes_at_yahoo.com> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:CL3z6.7821$%N.61992_at_skycache.prestige.net...

> Another problem with DBMS_OUTPUT is that you don't see the output until
> after the PL/SQL ends; what happens if you have a loop during a long
running
> procedure - you'll never know it.
>
> Does your temp table preserve any msgs if the proc dies or has to be
killed?

> The problem with TEXT_IO is that it is only available in Developer, but
that
> is better than nothing. I have used this to write a client side file that
> can edit while the proc runs, so that I can see the progress.
>

> "Mark Malakanov" <markmal_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > DBMS_OUTPUT has limit 10Kb. Sometimes it is not enough.
> > Also it trims leading ' ' spaces.
> > What I use:
> >
> > create global temporary table outtmp(n number, s varchar2(4000)) on
commit
> > preserve rows;
> >
> > create procedure out(i in number, s in varchar2) as
> > begin
> > insert into outtmp values (i,s);
> > end;
> > /
> >
> > I use proc OUT in PL/SQL. After this I select s from outtmp order by n.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
> >
> > "Michal" <michalp_at_cr-media.com.pl> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: