SQL Net problem

From: Bernie <borismilo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:39:11 +0800

Hi,

I'n new to Oracle so I may be mssing the obvious but I hope someone may be able to shed some light on what I am seeing.

I have 4 Oracle 7 database instances running on two AIX 4.3.2 nodes. Because of some broken code in our major application, we have the situation where the application running on our production node, falls over if the the listener on the second, backup node is shut down. What really annoys me is that when I shut down the database that it is accessing, the production application logs an error but keeps going. The conclusion I have come to is that it isn't using any data in the database on the second node. Further complicating this, the environment has been set up so that the two nodes run in a cluster and the production node will fail over to the standby node in the case of a failure on the production box. Now the problem, because of the interdependence problem, if I have a problem on either of the two nodes, the production system breaks.

What I wanted to do, was try and change the configuration of the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files so that they say the offending database is actually on the production node. I am hoping the result will be the same as when I shut down the offending database but leave the listener running. That is, the production software logs and error but keeps going.

My problem is that I can't seem to change the configuration files and get anything to work. when I do change them, even to the extent of deleting some entries, everything continues to work the same as they did before I made the changes. I figure that I must be doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. Every bit of documentation that I can find on the subject seems to imply that sqlnet changes have to be made thorugh network manager, but I don't have a copy of this anywhere.

Does any one know how I could achive what I have described above. That is, I have a database A on node A1. I also have a databse B on node B1. I want a person using database B who wants to connect to database A, to be directed to the listener on B. The listner on B can then report the database is not available. I want to be able to do this on the fly, such as when we are doing maintenance on node A1.

Thanks
Boris. Received on Thu Mar 22 2001 - 14:39:11 CET

Original text of this message