Re: 10,000+ Simultaneous Users

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:29:24 GMT

You can't use dedicated sessions since NT can't allocate that many threads for a process; you are limited to about 2,000. MTS might work. You are probably going to need a lot of disk drives to handle the IO demands unless people are going after the same data in which case it would be cached. IMHO NT is not designed for this type of load and it seems that the requirement is missing the objective. (i.e. I need 10,000 simultaneous users - the objective vs must use NT - the requirement). Which is more important 10,000 users or using NT? If it comes down to that what are you going to choose?

If they are only reading the data you could just have many NT boxes running the same database. (snapshots of the master) If they are going to be updating then multi master; gets more complex with replication (multi master).

Jim