Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:31:53 -0800

> I knew that to be the case on 8.1.5, but I had hoped you'd be correct on
> 8.1.7. Glad we sorted it out.

I too am disappointed. Though I have been assured that this will be fixed in 9i.

> And you're saying it doesn't work in 8.1.7 either? Bummer.

That's what I am saying.

> That's true. I think I posted originally that the one non-system rollback
> segment can be created in the SYSTEM tablespace: where it's housed is
> irrelevant. But it must NOT be the one called SYSTEM -'cos that *is* the
> system rollback segment, and won't suffice. On the training courses (and I
> believe in the sample database supplied by Oracle for 8i installs) there's
> one called SYSROL (just to be bloody confusing about it), which is housed in
> the SYSTEM tablespace -but it isn't the system rollback segment, and
> therefore counts for the purposes of creating your first locally managed
> segment.

You are both correct and incorrect. What you state is true of Oracle's install program creates the database instance. But if you do what I did for my testing. And build every tablespace and rollback segment in a script executed from Server Manager it is not. When rolling your own you can call the SYSTEM tablespace rollback segment anything you want. I chose the name SYSTEM_RSP.

> So there must have been 2 rollback segments before you started. One called
> system, and one called something else, both housed in SYSTEM tablespace.
> That's fine (though it's not fine from the Oracle point of view -personally,
> I think the need for one dictionary, non-system rollback segment is a real
> pain in the butt, and makes me think that locally managed anything hasn't
> been properly thought through. Hopefully, 9i will resolve all these
> issues!)

No. Only the single SYSTEM tablespace rollback segment named SYSTEM_RSP. After that I created a locally managed tablespace named USER_RSP and had no problem building rollback segments within it.

I hope this clarifies things at least as far as version 8.1.7.

And I reserve the right to be wrong again.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Mar 14 2001 - 07:31:53 CET

Original text of this message