Re: From oracle to MS access through VB5

From: Stephen Goguen <sgoguen_at_goeinc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:12:18 -0500

Yuck, I checked out that link. OO4O doesn't look that appealing.

Have you considered ADO? It's just as native as OO4O.

Steve

> But I can't use ODBC driver.

    Are you telling me you can't use the ODBC driver along with Oracle Objects for OLE? OO4O locks other types of clients from using the Oracle database?

    You need to find out if it is technically possible and reliable.

    If it IS a reliable solution, use the method I mentioned. Copying row by row using something like OO4O or DAO is going to be SLOW. You may be able to speed it up marginally if OO4O can populate a Variant Array
with a bunch of rows. However, Updating row-by-row is still going to kill you.

    Linking your Access Database to the Oracle database and using a INSERT INTO [Table] SELECT statement is your best bet. I'm not too familiar with Oracle, but maybe you can link to Access from Oracle and let Oracle populate the table using INSERT INTO [Table] SELECT.

Steve