Connection causes client to lockup

From: Nick Kelsey <nickkelsey_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:29:37 GMT

Hi,

I have just set up a Oracle 8.1.6 (personal edition) server.

On that computer and on a second computer on the LAN I can connect correctly
(Using Net Configuration Assistant to test the connection or SQL to log in).

When I try to connect to the server from a remote computer that is connected using a VPN the Net Configuration Assistant or SQL programs lock up
(application not responding) when they try to connect.

At first I thought it must be the VPN, but if I use telnet to test the oracle port (eg telnet 10.1.1.146 1521) the TCP connection is established correctly. This means that TCP is working, the VPN is working, and the firewall is letting the packets through in both directions.

My TNSNAMES.ORA file contains the following:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: E:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools. TRAINING =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.1.1.146)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = training.forgelink)

)
)

Thanks

Nick Received on Sat Feb 17 2001 - 20:29:37 CET

Original text of this message