HOWTO: build application in Linux to query existing large database on another machine

From: William H. Fissell <whf_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:39:43 -0500

Hello,

I have some small experience in SQL (wrote a few very small dbs with tcl/Tk GUIs) using Postgres. My employer has a large Oracle based db and I would like to write an application to run on my Linux box to query it and cache a small subset of the data on the local machine. The employer is fine with that, but is NT-centric. There is a web-based interface now, but it doesn't answer my report-generating and graphing needs.

What subsets of the oracle software that's available for Linux ought I to download and use? Onece developed, I don't mind paying for it, but, for example, I couldn't get 8.1.7EE to work on my mandrake 7.1 linux OS. I figured at a miniumum I should seek some advice about which packages I should try to use. I am not picky about the interface- I can write in in Java or C or use one of their tools....

thanks in advance

Bill Fissell Received on Wed Feb 07 2001 - 05:39:43 CET

Original text of this message