Re: CHAR vs VARCHAR2

From: Jason Burgoyne <jason.burgoyne_at_bms.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:33:31 -0500

If you use a CHAR the database will hold that number of characters for the field no matter how many you actually store in the field. This is generally good for standardized information, 2 character codes and that sort of thing. VARCHARs will only allocate space for exactly how many characters are entered, thus lendeing very well to free text fields. I do however thing there is a performance difference in indexing the two however, I think VARCHAR2 indexes the best, but you would have to check that out a little more. Hope that helps.

Jason