Re: Size of Swap with large phy. mem

From: Jeff Anderson-Lee <jonah_at_dlp.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 26 Jan 01 17:06:55 GMT

It all depends on how you want to use your memory. I often allocate SWAP=4*PM (e.g. 16G=4*4G), to have plenty of room leftover for /tmp in swap. On a database server with 30GB of memory however, chances are you *don't* want to be swapping and won't want a large /tmp in swap, so 2*PM is probably more than enough.

You could go for less, but systems tend to fail miserably when the run out of swap space, and 60GB of disk is not that much at todays prices. (A lot less than 30GB of memory.)

Jeff Anderson-Lee
Systems Manager, Digital Library Project ERL, UC Berkeley

In article <9YXb6.9733$9v2.169114_at_quark.idirect.com>, tbrown_at_tucows.com says...