Re: Size of Swap with large phy. mem

From: Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer <Casper.Dik_at_Holland.Sun.Com>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 16:23:03 GMT

[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]] "Timothy brown" <tbrown_at_tucows.com> writes:

>We are getting a few new machines and will be putting a large db on them.
>I normally allocate
>Swap space = 2 * Phys. Mem
>Even for machines with 4G of physical memory (is this wrong?)
>Anyway the new machines are going to be E6500's with 30G of memory, now
>should I allocate a 60G for swap? (my god thats a lot!)

>Does anybody have any experience, suggestions?

The bottomline is: you ened as much swap as you need.

If you are going to use the memory for a database and it doesn't need backing store (like a 25GB Oracle SGA), there's really no need to alocate anywap to it (except when you run S2.6 or earlier where shmem use counts double towards swap)

Casper

--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.